Lenz-Hartline lab personnel and professional associates
- Dr. Daisuke Takagi, Dept. of Mathematics, UH (hydrodynamics of copepod locomotion and sensory perception)
- Dr. Edward Buskey, Marine Science Institute, University of Texas, Austin (copepod bioluminescence, escape in free-swimming copepods, copepod photophobic responses)
- Dr. Andy Christie, Bekesy Lab, UH (immunohistochemistry of copepod neuropeptides and modulators). Email: crabman at pbrc.hawaii.edu
- Dr. Rudi Strickler, Great Lakes Water Institute, University of Wisconsin, Milkwaukee WI (3D tracking of fish attacks and copepod escapes using laser imaging systems)
- Ms. Tina Weatherby (Carvalho), PBRC Biological Electron Microscope Facility, University of Hawaii (copepod sensory morphology) (for pretty pictures of various critters she's aimed her scanning electron microscope at, click here!)
- Dr. Ann Castelfranco,Bekesy Lab., University of Hawaii (computational neuroscience); Email: castelf at pbrc.hawaii.edu
- Dr. Frederic Mercier, UH, Trop. Med.: Copepod "meninges"
- Dr. Kenro Tazaki, Nara Univ. of Education, Japan (deceased): Stomatogastric neuron morphology
- Dr. Robert Wayne Newcomb, Department of Electrical Engineering, University of Maryland College Park): Neural modeling
- Dr. Robert White Newcomb, Stanford University (deceased): modeling peptide processing and transport physiology (see
Hartline and Newcomb 1991,
Newcomb et al 1991,
Hartline et al 1995)
- Dr. William Calvin, Univ. of Washington: doublet spiking in lobster MRO
- Dr. Jeanette Niestroy (2018-) [PL]: Alaska project
- Dr. Lillian Tuttle (2017-): Project on clownfish-copepod predator-prey interactions
- Dr. Vittoria Roncalli (2015-18)[PL]: Copepod transcriptomics. 2018 Postdoc, Barcelona, Spain working on Oikopleura
- Dr. Eve Robinson (2015-17) Predator-prey interactions among developmental stages of clownfish and copepods
- Dr. Caroline Wilson (2006-2012): Project on development of copepod nervous system and escape circuitry (email: wilsonc at hawaii.edu)
- Dr. Ann M. Castelfranco (1993-96): Project on simulation of space-clamp errors in processes of cells with voltage-dependent conductances.
- Dr. Brad R. Jones (1988-92): Project on ionic currents in stomatogastric neurons. Brad is now our Computer Guru at PBRC. To email, click here
- Dr. David F. Russell (1976-82): Project on pattern production in stomatogastric ganglion.
- Dr. Howard S. Warshaw (1973-78): Project on simulation of pattern production in simple nerve nets.
Kira (2018- )[PL] - Alaska project
- Vittoria Roncalli(2011-2015) [PL] - thesis [May 2015] "The effect of the toxic alga Alexandrium fundyense on the calanoid copepod Calanus finmarchicus"
- Robert Young (Math MS pgm 2011-2013): Saltatory conduction simulations; Lillie transition; capstone presentation [May 2015] "Mathematical modeling of the evolution and development of myelin" (co-spon: Ann Castelfranco)
- James Jackson (2009-2011) MA thesis: Predator prey interactions in developing clown fish (P. Lenz, research advisor)
- Kevin Funk (2003-2005): MA thesis: Development of Mechanosensory Responses in Myelinated Copepods. (2006: with Tim Tricas at HIMB).
- April Davis [Rudd] (1996-1999): Project on EM of copepod nervous system and copepod myelin. (See Davis et al 1999.)
April graduated from vet school at the University of Colorado at Fort Collins.
- Galya Orr (1994-95): Project: Computation in dendritic arborization of identified neurons from the lobster stomatogastric ganglion. Transferred to Univ. of Arizona (1996-99). In 2006 she was working as a Senior Research Scientist on time lapse single-molecule fluorescence imaging for the Pacific Northwest National Laboratory in Washington State.
- Michele Solis (summer 1992): Project on temperature effects on thresholds of copepod antennal mechanoreceptors. Obtained her PhD at UCSF working on bird song; Postdoc: Univ. of Washington Dept. of Psychology; : Research Associate, Otolaryngology. See April, 2006 J. Neurophysiol.. In 2012, she was a science writer" in Washington state.
- Greg Wolodkin (summer 1990; from Univ. of Maryland): Project programming netlist compiler for SYNETSIM neural modeling package
- Curtis A. Baker (1975-77 at UCSD): Project on non-linear systems analysis of repetitive firing. Obtained PhD at UCSD under Walter Heiligenberg; faculty positions at Dalhousie Univ.; 2006 at McGill as a professor of ophthalmology.
- Claudio Valenzuela (1975-78 at UCSD): Project on parameter optimization in neural models.
- Jonathan A. Raper (1974-79 UCSD): PhD Thesis: Non-impulse Mediated Synaptic Transmission in the Stomatogastric Ganglion of the Spiny Lobster. Post-doc with Cory Goodman, UCB 1981-83?; Max Planck Tubingen 5-yr appointment 1984-89? current: Professor Univ. of Penna.
- William M. Roberts (1972-79 UCSD): PhD Thesis: Studies of Membrane Currents in Crayfish Stretch Receptor Neurons and Optimal Recognition of Neuronal Spike Waveform. Post-doc with Wolf Almers, Univ. of Washington 1979-81(?) and with A. James Hudspeth, 1981-83(?); current: Professor of Neuroscience, Univ. of Oregon; Chair Neuroscience Program
- W. Otto Friesen (1971-74 UCSD): PhD Thesis: Physiology of the Spiny Lobster Cardiac Ganglion. Post-doc with Gunther Stent (UCB) 1975-77(?) Current: Professor, Dept. of Biology, University of Virginia
- Stephanie Matthews [Sommer] (2016)[PL} Molecular biology and bioinformatics of copepod transcriptomes
- Matt Cieslack -- (2015-2016) Bioinformatics of copepod transcriptomes
- (Dr.) Monica Orcine -- (2013-2014) TEM study of the origin of myelin in shrimp
- (Dr.) Jenn Kong -- Gain and loss of myelin in Malacostraca; Post-doc. Stanford Univ. (2018)
- (Dr.) Amy Hower - (~2002-2003 MDIBL 2 years) copepod force production and cinematography [co-authored papers]. Obtained her PhD 2009 in Neuroscience at Univ. of Miami working on receptor-type protein tyrosine phosphatase
- (Dr.) Mark Bieda - patch clamp of stomatogastric neurons (with Brad Jones)
- (Dr.) Michele Solis (summer 1992): Project on temperature effects on thresholds of copepod antennal mechanoreceptors. Obtained her PhD at UCSF working on bird song; Postdoc: Univ. of Washington Dept. of Psychology; : Research Associate, Otolaryngology. See April, 2006 J. Neurophysiol. In 2013, she was a science writer in Washington state (http://michelesolis.com/)
- Steve Lum (Pomona project started in lab summer before; then continued after graduation). MD from UHM Medical School.
- Leanna Bartram [Aker] - (Research Associate 1996-98) project on web interfacing; now teaching science at Columbia Jr. High in Washington state (2012).
- Darrick Dickerson (Fall 2013) Clownfish predatory success under different illuminations
- Dylan Faltine-Gonzalez (Marine Biology, MARC/Honors proj. Falll 2013) - Phototactic behavior of copepods
- Chizuru Mizuma (Math honors student 2012-13) - Respiration in nerve
- Lauren Grotton (MDIBL REU 2011): Sodium channel immunohistochemistry
- (Dr.) Monica Orcine (MDIBL REU, 2009-2011): Copepod histamine immunohistochemistry (Highest honors award)
- Robert Young (UBM program 2010-2011): Saltatory conduction simulations; Lillie transition (co-spon Ann Castelfranco)
- Andrew Salazar (UMB program 2010): Artificial saltatory conduction in unmyelinated nerve
- (Dr.) Mia Herzog (Univ. Cambridge summer intern, 2010): Crustacean sodium channel immunohistochemistry and saltatory cond
- Agnes Elias (Manheim Technical Univ)[PL]
- Svenja Skarke (Manheim Technical Univ)[PL] - Sodium channel molecular biology
- Anna Lechner (Manheim Technical Univ. Spr 2006)[PL] -- HSPs
- Elizabeth Mitchell (NIH/INBRE at MDIBL 2006): Cell-division zones in Calanus developmental stages
- Greg Sousa (NIH/INBRE at MDIBL 2006): Peptide immunohistochemistry of Calanus [co-authored paper]
- Kyle Vanderlugt (200x-yZool. Honors proj,)[PL] Copepod culturing
- Delyn Martinez (NSF/REU at MDIBL 2005): escape in free-swimming Calanus [copepod] developmental stages
- Ben Clauberg (200x) [PK]German tech univ interns; copepod culture protocols
- Marisa Litz (from Univ. of Maine -- NSF/REU at MDIBL 2004): escape in free-swimming Tortanus [copepod] developmental stages
- Kelly Baehre (NSF/REU at MDIBL 2004)[PL] - Further sequencing of Calanus HSP 70 gene
- Daniel Burdick (NSF/REU at MDIBL and UH 2003-4): Mechanically-triggered escape in free-swimming copepods and in 2004 5HT immunohistochemistry of Acartia & Calanus nervous system (w/ B. Beltz) [co-authored paper]
- (Dr.) Maria Voznesensky (NSF/REU at MDIBL 2003)[PL] Sequencing Calanus HSP70 & its thermal activation
- Gabe Rodrigues (from Rutgers Univ. -- NSF/REU at MDIBL 2002-3): photically-elicited escape in free-swimming copepods. 2013 working as EMS tech in Orange Co.see LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/pub/gabriel-rodrigues/17/489/a9a
- Lisa Oliveira (~2002) [PL] NSF/REU at MDIBL
- April Davis [Rudd] (1996-97) graduated ~1997 and continued as MS student in Animal Science
- Christy Herren (from Univ. of So. Carolina -- NSF/ REU 1994): mechanosensitivity of copepod escape behavior. PhD 2002, UCSB Ecol., Evol. & Mar. Biol.[Aldredge/Case]; 2003: Post-doc at MBARI with Steve Haddock; In 2012 she was working as a Research Associate at the Univ. of Maine's Darling Marine Center affiliated with the Center for Ocean Sciences Education Excellence program (email: christy dot herren at gmail dot com)
- Wendy Weber (Summer internship 1992): Project on morphology of copepod antennal receptors; received her BA from Weslyan in Psychology/Neurosciences; in 2003 she was at Bastyr University as a Research Institute Investigator. She joined NIH in 2009 as a program officer in the National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine (more ).
- Katy Wong (NSF/REU 1991-2): Project on scanning EM of copepod antenna; she received her MD at Univ. of Hawaii ca 1997 and set up in rheumatology and internal medicine practice in Bloomington IL(see her physician details)
- Arthur Reyes (NSF/REU 1991): Project on post-inhibitory rebound in STG
- Kyle Nugent (2017) student help - fish & copepod culturing, data analysis
- Curtis Chan (2015-2017) student help - fish & copepod culturing, data analysis, modeling
- Kelly-Ann Kobayashi (2016-17) student help - clownfish project; proj to measure dark feeding
- Kelly-Ann Nguyen (summer 2016) student help (clown fish project; proj to measure dark feeding
- Yuuki Niimi (2015) student help in clown fish project (video analysis)
- Justin Suitos (2015 -17) student help (cope culture; chem. dispose); UROP proj cope genetics
- Tony Cavalar (2014-2015) student help (keeping copepod and clown fish cultures)
- Matt Cieslak (2013-2016 student help; intern - assisting Vittoria Roncalli in bioinformatics; teaching assistant for Molecular Biology 725)
- Tiffany Letsom (summer 2013; 499 Fall 2013) Particip. expts on clown fish prey consumption vs dev't stage; project on bar-coding Kane'ohe Bay meroplankton
- Sam Furumo (summer 2013) Particip. expts on clown fish prey consumption vs dev't stage
- Matt Wong (summer 2013- ) Experiments on clown-fish copepod consumption rates
- Andrea Orcine (HS 2010?; Lab Assistant F 2011- F 2013) Culturing copepods & clown fish; aborted project on respiration in copepods.
- Lynn Hata: email lynn at pbrc.hawaii.edu
Return to Hartline Home Page.
Return to PBRC Home Page.